Maxwell School
Maxwell / The School

Facilities

MaxwellVirtually all the programs and faculty of the Maxwell School are housed in the Maxwell Complex—a pair of connected structures located near the northwest corner of Syracuse University’s main campus. Included in the complex are Eggers Hall, opened in 1993 and named for former economics professor (and Syracuse chancellor) Melvin A. Eggers; and Maxwell Hall, opened in 1937 and substantially renovated in 1994. This all-under-one-roof attribute helps nurture the School’s remarkable interdisciplinary culture and sense of community.

Maxwell and Eggers halls are linked by a three-tiered atrium—one of many open, public spaces in the complex designed to encourage mingling, discussion, and debate. Other distinctive features of the complex include:  

Maxwell Auditorium, a deeply sunken 200-seat semi-circular forum at the core of Maxwell Hall, where many of the most memorable moments in School discourse have occurred;

Maxwell Aud

the stately lobby of Maxwell Hall’s main entrance, where a replica of Houdon’s lifesize sculpture of George Washington stands, framed by an excerpt of the Oath of Athenian Citizens that is well-known to generations of Maxwell alumni;

Washington

Maxwell Hall’s broad exterior stairway and terrace, from which visitors view the School’s mini-quad and James Earle Fraser’s impressive sculpture of a seated Abraham Lincoln (further described in Maxwell Perspective);

Lincoln1

Eggers Café, on the third floor of Eggers Hall, where breakfast and lunch are served almost year round and individuals from throughout the School (and across SU) congregate informally; and

Cafe

the Academic Village, which contains generous meeting, study, and lounging space for graduate students in the professional-degree programs.

Academic Village

Maxwell invests heavily in information technology to support teaching, research, and administration. Computer labs for the exclusive use of graduate students in the professional programs are accessible around the clock; graduate students in the social science disciplines are often equipped with computers via “grad bay” carrels. In addition, several departments and programs within the School offer specialized labs and software to meet their own research and educational needs.

ICGMaxwell operates the Global Collaboratory, an advanced-technology classroom and interactive media lab for state-of-the-art teleconferencing—the most impressive within an array of electronic classrooms throughout the Maxwell Complex. Beyond the Collaboratory are 10 technology-equipped lecture halls, featuring video and computer projection systems, stereo speakers, and, in some cases, wired connectivity at each seat position.

The complex also features a state-of-the-art communications network. It supports a variety of hardware platforms, though most computing is conducted with Microsoft Windows Vista running on desktop computers. Every network user has access to word processing, presentation, spreadsheet, database, and web-development software. Wireless networking is available for laptop and PDA users. Maxwell computing is supported by the in-house Information and Computing Technology group.

The Maxwell School makes extensive use of Lubin House, a town house in midtown Manhattan owned by Syracuse University, for seminars and social events. Similarly, Paul Greenberg House in Washington, D.C., with its seminar rooms and video conferencing facilities, gives Maxwell a presence in the nation’s capital.

Follow Maxwell at:

twitter facebook youtube linkedin blog rss
Syracuse University Give Now

Maxwell School of Syracuse University | 200 Eggers Hall | Syracuse, NY 13244-1020 | 315.443.2252