Fabiola Ortiz Valdez
Medical Anthropology / Political Anthropology / Social Activism and Social Movements / United States
- Roscoe Martin fund for research. Maxwell School, Syracuse University January 2015
- Graduate Student Travel Grant to the International Seminar Migrant Labor and Social Sustainability of Global Agri-Food Chains. Syracuse University. November 2014
- Graduate Student Organization Travel Grant. November 2014
- Pre- ABD fieldwork award Anthropology Department Syracuse University. May 2013/2014
- Sociological Initiatives Foundation Grant for a Collaborative Research Project with the Worker Justice Center of NY and the Workers' center of CNY. August 2014
- Migrant Health Scholarship by the National Center for Farmworker Health, Inc. August 2012
- Introduction to Cultural Anthropology (2012, 2014);
- Global Encounters (2014)
- People and Cultures of the World (2013, 2014, 2015)
Conference Papers Presented
Anthropology Lectures, Syracuse University:
- "Dairy Industry in New York State" for People and Cultures of the World Department of Anthropology, Syracuse University.
- "Undocumented workers producing our food" for Global Encounters, Department of Anthropology, Syracuse University.
- "Working and Living conditions of the Dairy Industry in New York" for Food and Society, Department of Public Health, Syracuse University.
- "Occupational hazards and healthcare access among undocumented egg workers in Maine" for Health, Healing , and Culture.
Conference Papers Presented:
- "Labor and Health among Undocumented Migrant Dairy Workers in New York State: Coping and Resistance Migrant Labor and Social Sustainability of Global Agri-Food Chains. International Seminar. University of Murcia. Murcia, Spain, November 2014.
- "Health and the use of health Services by migrant farm workers in Maine." Thinking Matters. University of Southern Maine, Portland, Maine, May 2011.
- "Las mujeres zapatistas" University of Maine in Farmington, Farmington, Maine, April 2011.
- "Cultural Perceptions of Health among migrant farm workers in Maine." Borderlands Symposium, University of Maine-Farmington. March 2011.
- Member of the Labor Studies Working Group. Program for the Advancement of Research on Conflict and Collaboration (PARCC). Maxwell School, Syracuse University . August 2012- Present
- Member of the Labor Research and Action Network
- Society for Applied Anthropology
Volunteer member of the Workers' of Central New York. Syracuse, New York