CPR Seminar Series in Aging, Labor and Public Finance
441 Eggers Hall, Thursdays; 4:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
(unless otherwise indicated)
- August 31. Introduction and Organizational Meeting.
- September 7. Stuart Rosenthal (Syracuse University). "Retirement Towns and Working Cities in a Dynamic Model of Quality of the Business Environment and Quality of Life. "
- September 14. "State of the Center." CPR Faculty-Only Meeting.
- September 15.* Kip Viscusi (Harvard Law School). "The Social Consequences of Cigarette Consumption: Do Smokers Pay Their Own Way?"
- September 21. Liliana Pezzin (Johns Hopkins University - School of Public Health). "Examining Motives for Intergenerational Transfers: A New Test Based on Siblings' Behavior"
- September 28. Scott Allard (Syracuse University). "Proximity and Opportunity: How Residence and Race Affect the Employment of Welfare Recipients."
- October 5. Joe Newhouse (Harvard University). "The American Tobacco Wars."
- October 12. Emily Agree (Johns Hopkins University). "Alleviating Disability with Technology: Preliminary Evidence about the Substitutability and Effectiveness of Assistive Devices in Long-Term Care."
(Seminar attendees might wish to review "Incorporating Assistive Devices into Community-Based Long-Term Care: An Analysis of the Potential for Substitution and Supplementation," Emily M. Agree and Vicki A. Freedman, Journal of Aging and Health, 12(3)(2000): 426-450.)
- October 13.** Robert Moffitt (Johns Hopkins University). "Evaluating Welfare Reform"
- October 19. William Duncombe (Syracuse University). "Estimating Preferences of Senior Citizens for Education Using Surveys"
- October 26. John Phillips (Social Security Administration). "Retirement Responses to Early Social Security Benefit Reductions" (with Olivia S. Mitchell).
- November 2. Daniel Hamermesh (University of Texas). "Variety of Demand or Demand for Variety - A Household Production Perspective" (with Reuben Gronau).
- November 9. John Knowles (University of Pennsylvania). "Can Parental Decisions Explain U.S. Wealth Inequality?."
- November 16. Janet Wilmoth (Purdue University). "Does Marital History Matter? : The Effect of Marital Status on Wealth Outcomes Among Pre-Retirement Age Adults."
- November 30. Derek Neal (University of Wisconsin-Madison). "Is the Measured Black-White Wage Gap among Women Too Small?"
- December 7. Charles Phelps (University of Rochester). "The Origins and Purposes of Not for Profit Organizations."
* Note special date, time, and place: Friday, September 15, 11:30-12:30, 060 Eggers Hall (The Collaboratory).
** Note special date, time, and place: Friday, October 13, 2:00-3:00, Maxwell Auditorium.