Gamma Theta Upsilon
Geographical Honor Society
Gamma Theta Upsilon (GTU) is an international honor society in geography. Gamma Theta Upsilon was founded in 1928 and became a national organization in 1931. Members of GTU have met academic requirements and share a background and interest in geography. GTU chapter activities support geography knowledge and awareness.
The Purposes of Gamma Theta Upsilon are:
- to further professional interest in Geography by affording a common organization for those interested in the field
- to strengthen student and professional training through academic experiences in addition to those of the classroom and laboratory
- to advance the status of Geography as a cultural and practical discipline for study and investigation
- to encourage student research of high quality, and to promote an outlet for publication
- to create and administer funds for furthering graduate study and/or research in the field of Geography
Why should you join GTU?
- Gamma Theta Upsilon membership is earned through superior scholarship; it is an honor, and a professional distinction.
- Members receive a handsome certificate, suitable for framing.
- No further membership dues are paid to the national organization after the initiation fee.
- Many members choose to remain active in GTU after graduation, by joining Omega Omega, the Alumni Chapter of GTU.
Benefits of GTU Membership
- Our chapter sponsor speakers, campus-wide programs, field trips and social events and participate in service functions.
- Members can participate in numerous extra-curricular activities.
- Membership provides a network where you can become better acquainted with other geography students and can meet and talk with geography faculty informally.
- Members can improve their expertise in the field of geography by learning things not normally dealt with in the classroom
- Members are eligible to apply for Gamma Theta Upsilon scholarships.
- Membership in an academic honor society is evidence of your dedication and competency in your career field. Some employers give hiring preference to honor society members.
Eligibility for Membership
Persons seeking membership must be initiated through an established chapter of Gamma Theta Upsilon. A chapter is also maintained for Alumni after graduation. There are two classes of membership in GTU:
Initiates must have completed a minimum of 3 geography courses, have a B average in geography, must rank in the upper 35% of their class and shall have completed at least 3 semesters or 5 quarters of college course work.
A chapter may extend honorary membership to anyone whom it feels has, by exploration, research, lecturing, publishing, teaching, or any other way contributed to marked advancement in any phase of Geography. The fees for Honorary membership are paid by the local chapter.