Master of Arts in International Relations
Maxwell ranks #1 for schools of public affairs.
I am Maxwell
“The most impactful part of a degree from Maxwell is the incredible network of passionately civic-minded individuals you immediately have access to. The confluence of world-class professors who have learned by doing and accomplished peers from around the world makes Maxwell an incredibly special place.”
Ben Albert ’13 M.A.I.R.
Director, Corporate Partnerships, Save the Children
The Maxwell Advantage
Where do our alumni work?
Maxwell M.A.I.R. graduates are leading change in every sector all over the world. Current alumni job titles include:
- Community Engagement Manager, Southern California Edison
- Director, Blackstone Charitable Foundation
- District Organizing Director, 1st Congressional District Iowa Democratic Party
- Executive Director, Philippine-American Educational Foundation
- Foreign Service Officer, U.S. Department of State
- Intelligence Analyst, U.S. Department of Justice
- Senior Latin America Energy Analyst, U.S. Department of Energy
- Senior Public Manager, General Secretariat of the Romanian Government
What career tracks are offered?
As part of your program, you'll gain the knowledge and skills to work in a range of positions and organizations. You'll also develop expertise in one of the following topical or regional areas:
- Conflict Resolution
- Data Analysis for International Affairs
- International Development
- International Political Economy
- International Service
- Regional concentrations
- Security Studies
Connect with an Alumni Ambassador
Learn about our community from the people who know us best! Ambassadors are passionate champions of the Maxwell School who are using their education to make real and lasting change in the world. Alumni from every degree program and a range of sectors and industries are available to answer your questions. Connect with one today.
Pictured: Alumni Ambassador Lorraine Bower ’19 M.A. (IR), Advisory Consultant, Grant Thornton / U.S. Army Reserve
I am Maxwell
Initially, I was looking at programs that were primarily focused on Intelligence, Security Studies and National Security. However, I was worried about picking a master’s program that was very specific and didn’t want to pigeon-hole myself too early in my career. I chose Maxwell because of the broad-based, interdisciplinary curriculum, the expert faculty, and its strong ties to the military community.
Lorraine Bower ’19 M.A.(I.R.)
Advisory Consultant, Grant Thornton / U.S. Army Reserve