Graduate Application Deadline: January 1
All required application materials must be submitted by this date to ensure full consideration for admission and financial aid. While most financial aid decisions at Syracuse are not made until March, the process for nominating fellowship candidates and recipients of some other forms of assistance begins as early as January.
Students are admitted to the graduate program in the spring for study beginning in the fall semester. Students are not generally admitted for study beginning in the spring semester.
Graduate Application Materials
The following materials must be submitted to the Graduate Enrollment Management Center (GEMC):
- Online application and $75 application fee**
- Unofficial transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (admitted students must have official transcripts submitted from their degree-granting institution(s))
- Three letters of recommendation
- Résumé or CV
- Personal statement:
- M.A. applicants should address their background, history interests and reasons for applying to Syracuse University.
- Ph.D. applicants should address the fields of history to be studied, faculty members at Syracuse with whom they would like to work, and the applicant’s command of foreign languages appropriate to the fields in which they are interested.
- GRE scores (temporarily waived for fall 2023 admission)
- TOEFL English proficiency exam scores for students whose primary language is not English. This can be waived for those with a degree from an undergraduate or postgraduate educational institution that taught all classes in English.
- Writing sample (20 – 30 pages in length). Examples include a graded paper, published article, etc.
**Students facing financial hardship can request an application fee waiver.
Admitted Graduate Students
Admission decisions and next steps information will be communicated via email to the address you listed in your online application. Decisions are typically sent out in mid-March. Additional information can be found on the graduate admission website.
Financial Aid for Graduate Students
In recent years many of our full-time students have received some form of financial aid, the majority of whom have served the department as teaching assistants. Although most financial aid decisions at Syracuse are not made until March, the process for nominating fellowship candidates and recipients of some other forms of assistance begins as early as January. Thus, should you choose to apply to Syracuse University, you should submit the GRE scores (or equivalent test results) and complete your application (including transcripts and recommendations) as early as possible.
2023 Forever Orange Scholarship Program
We are happy to continue our support of the Forever Orange program! Syracuse University Class of 2023 graduating seniors are eligible to apply for our master’s program and, if admitted, will receive a guaranteed 50% tuition scholarship! Please visit the Graduate School website for additional details on eligibility, participating programs and application instructions.